It’s that time of year when stocking up on suncare products is a top priority. A safe glow up is the trend for summer! Do you know if your suncare products are harming the coral reefs? According to National Ocean Service, the sunscreen we apply, may not stay on our skin. In fact when we swim or shower, sunscreen may wash off and enter our waterways. Here is how to stay reef safe this summer:
What to Look Out For in Your Suncare Products
Some common ingredients you should look out for are oxybenzone, GMOs and parabens — you don’t want these on your skin or in the environment. Here at The Positivity Charge, our go-to eco-conscious sun care brand is COOLA — their formulas are sourced with a Farm to Face® philosophy and their incorporate antioxidant-rich Plant Protection® into their sunscreens. COOLA is good for the environment and their formulas have so many benefits for ourselves.
A Few Reasons Why We Love COOLA
70%+ Certified Organic
- This seal ensures the ingredients are 70%+ certified organic ingredients. COOLA formulates with the freshest ingredients to ensure the most biodynamic results, free from pesticides and other nasty bi-products.
Farm to Face® Philosophy
- COOLA believes in formulating products with certified organic and non-GMO ingredients that follow sustainable farming practices, support local communities, and reduce the usage of pesticides that contaminate our bodies, waterways, and environment.
- Part of COOLA’s commitment is to use naturally effective and sustainably-sourced ingredients to achieve superior results organically.
Cruelty Free Suncare
- They’re are animal lovers! COOLA teamed up with PETA to support their similar interests in protecting all animals.
Antioxidant Enriched Suncare
- COOLA products are infused with powerful antioxidants that help fight free radicals, such as Red Raspberry Seed Oil, Linseed Oil Extract, Cocoa Seed Extract, Buriti Oil, and Prickly Pear Extract.
- Provides hydrating, chemical-active free sun protection for even the most sensitive skin.
- Incorporates genre-defying technology to help disperse non-nano minerals evenly, for a sheer application with a lightweight and eminently wearable finish
- Daytime lotion, antioxidant infused bb cream and SPF all in one.
- Sheer, mattifying formula for lightweight hydration, shine reduction and wears beautifully under makeup
- Contains Vitamin C-rich rose hip oil, omega-3 evening primrose and flax seed oils, and phyto-protector Plankton Extract
- Apply this serum with the kabuki body brush for an even application
- This body serum instantly illuminates for a shimmery, sun-kissed radiance while developing a buildable, natural-looking tan over time.
- Contains fine pearlescent mica for a natural golden shimmer and sugar-beet derived DHA (an Eco-Cert approved natural tanning ingredient) for golden glow.
- Note: Does not contain SPF
- Instant dewy glow and a buildable, natural-looking tan
- Contains light-reflecting micas and natural sugar-beet derived DHA
- Note: Does not contain SPF
Nutrition wise, we regularly think about what eat, so why not think about what’s actually going on our skin? It’s so important to look at your sun care products (including self tanners!) and see if they are actually doing any good for your skin. COOLA suncare products are not only effective, but they are nourishing, hydrating and include antioxidants that prevent aging.
Tell us! Have you read all the ingredients in your sun care products?
About The Author
Melissa, founder of Skinny Affair
Skinny Affair is a lifestyle blog I curated to give a dose of outfit inspiration. Get the skinny on my personal style as I share my favorite finds. I was born and raised in California and now I live on the East Coast in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Such a fun city! I love coffee, animals, sushi, yoga, shopping with my dog, wine, and long weekends. Find me on instagram @theskinnyaffair and my dog @maddieciao.